Sunday, December 21, 2008

Playing Catch Up...so I make it off of the NAUGHTY list!

Alright, sorry this is such a long one, but I have got some major catch up to do because life has just been a little nuts lately. Thanks to everyone for all of the love and friendship we have been shown this year. We find ourselves overwhelmed with the blessings in our life. Having little Laney gives me a whole new perspective on what Mary must have felt like, holding Jesus in her arms. Sometimes while she sleeps I just stare at her, amazed by the potential I see in her and her tender spirit, so maybe it is just a few lingering prego hormones, but the song "Silent Night" makes me just a little choked up.
I loved President Monson's quote about Christmas:

President David O. McKay (1873–1970) declared: “True happiness comes only by making others happy—the practical application of the Savior’s doctrine of losing one’s life to gain it. In short, the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit, that makes our hearts glow in brotherly love and friendship and prompts us to kind deeds of service.

“It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring ‘peace on earth,’ because it means—good will toward all men.”

Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people than things. To catch the real meaning of the “spirit of Christmas,” we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the “Spirit of Christ.”


Even with our hectic schedule, we still find time for the important things...like making Laney the next Guitar Hero prodigy. I have some pretty high expectations.

The holidays got busy so quickly for us. Sorry, no cards made it out this year...at least we got a picture with all three of us looking halfway presentable...The sunset was amazing the night our pics were taken.

.
A night at the temple made it really feel like Christmas. The music was beautiful and the lights were amazing. The second picture is a little funky but is a better representation of the lights.


With Thanksgiving over with, we began cookin' up christmas. Even Laney got in on the decorating.


Our Sweet Little Punkin'


Regardless of our joking about Laney being the main course, Thanksgiving brought a few moments of reflection on all that we have gained this year, mostly the blessing it has been to have Laney join our family. That little girl just makes my heart melt everytime.
The weekend after Travis left, we headed to Tucson for Chet to ride in the Tour de Tucson. It was amazing to see all of those helmets lined up at the starting line at 5:30 in the morning. The whole event benefits numerous charities. There were even a few unicycle riders who attempted the 109 mile ride. The participation and support for the riders was really inspiring. Chet loved riding with his dad, Josh and Steve.


Chet did so well (I was expecting him to be a lot more exhausted than he was at the finish line-must've been the endorphins!) Laney was overcome with emotion (as you can see) that her dad is such a Superman.




Chet got done, but was so energetic, it made me tired. I thought maybe this race would get the biking bug out of his system, but now I sense it is just the beginning. I don't mind, because it was really fun watching them and so exciting to see them finish together.









We had one last weekend together before Travis left for his mission. So of course we went shooting. It was so much fun having everyone together, and this was our first chance to see what kind of a shot Stacie was...the girl definately held her own-which is appropriate considering Austin's love of firepower.

While we were out, Chet and I decided to immortalize our love for eachother in ultimate redneck style: spraypaint. Don't be too jealous...my man is a romantic.
Travis flew out early on November 19th, straight to the Ghana MTC. It was kind of teary for all of us...Travis mostly for his cell phone and beloved texting. My dad inherited Travis' phone, though I don't think those buttons will see near the heat. Travis has always been my little bud. I found this pic from his last year of wrestling this weekend, and missed him just a little bit, but I'm sure that kid will tear it up in the mission.

12 comments:

Morgan said...

Lots of fun pictures!! Laney is so cute and all of her outfits are adorable!

the cates said...

Oh my gosh! I can not believe that Travis is a missionary! He will always be a little kid to me! And your Laney is so sweet! I love those smiles! But totally call me this week, we are staying in town for Christmas so any time is cool. 243-8212

Hale Yes!! said...

Shelly, I am so glad we ran into each other as well!! It made me go back in time and remember our late night dance parties!! Those were some fun times!! Anyway we totally will get together after the holidays!! I just wanted to tell you how gorgeous you are!! You were always really pretty, but you seriosuly look amazing now!!!

JacksonFamily said...

Laney is adorable. I can't believe she smiles so much!

Crystal said...

I was about to give you lots of grief about the lack of Laney-ness so I am thankful that you redeemed yourself :)

Lucia said...

Hey shelly! I'm glad you found my blog, I have to agree with Melissa, you look Beautiful! I can tell you are having so much fun with your baby girl. Ok so every year I go down the Christmas aisle's at walmart, I always see the john deere ornaments and stuff, and I always think of you. And every year, i swear, they come out with more john deere stuff. Anyway, Have a Merry Christmas, and I'd love to get together, Melissa mentioned that you guys were going to.

Jamie Eberhardt said...

I love all of your pictures! Your family is sooo sweet :)

Lisa said...

She is such a cutie!! You both look like you are really enjoying her.

Meg and Jeremy said...

Hey Shelly! Found your blog through Mandi's and had to say hi. What a cute little girl you have! Hope your doing well and have a Happy New Year!

CASSIE said...

Shelly!! How are things going? I love your short hair! Your daughter is sooo cute! She is a spitting image of you! Stacy updated me that you had a beautiful little girl and doing great! Are you working at all? Sooo hard to do with a baby huh, tears at your heart strings! I'll have to add you to my "regular" bloglist!! Take care!

Savage Family Junior said...

Hey Shelly! your littel girl is just about the cutest baby! It looks like you guys are doing well. how is everything else? Are you still in Flag? email me and I can send you an invite to my blog. Desiree Savage dsquaredsavages@gmail.com

jetlag said...

Hi. Veo bien. Laney es hermosa. Pero, definitivamente, Shelly es mas linda que Chet.